Applying and Funding

Admissions Requirements

Both HSU Graduate Studies and the Department of Sociology have Admission Requirements.

  • Learn about the HSU Graduate Studies requirements here.
  • The Department of Sociology requires you have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
  • We do NOT require the GRE for admission into our program.
  • We do NOT require a writing sample for admission into our program.

Application Deadlines

Priority applications for fall admissions are accepted until February 1 (applications open on or around October 1st)

  • The priority application period for Graduate programs is October 1 through February 1. Completed applications, with all materials received in the Admissions office by February 1, will get priority consideration by the graduate program. Applications for which required materials arrive at the Admissions office after February 1 will subsequently be considered in the order received.
  • Please send all required application materials (not included in the Cal State Apply Application ) directly to the Office of Admissions by email to or by postal mail to the address below.
  • Please contact the Graduate Coordinator with questions.

How to Apply

  • Application: Apply through the Cal State Apply Application (general CSU application, for all campuses). Note that your application will require an Application Fee of $70.
  • Transcripts: Request transcript(s) from any college or university you have attended to be sent to Admissions at Humboldt State University
  • Statement of Purpose: A statement on your plans and objectives must be submitted within your application on Cal State Apply.
  • Letters of Recommendation: You must have THREE (3) letters submitted online through Cal State Apply. If you have questions please contact the Graduate Admissions Office 707-826-6250.

NOTE: You do NOT need to enter a GRE score in the Cal State Apply Application.
NOTE: You do NOT need to submit a writing sample.

To assure that your application can be considered, please confirm that your file is complete before the deadline. Even if a reference tells you that their letter has been sent, it is always a good idea to check that it has been received and placed in your file.

If you have any questions about the application process or our program, please feel free to contact the Graduate Coordinator, Jennifer Eichstedt ( or HSU Graduate Studies.

MA Funding Options

To be eligible for many types of financial aid, you will need to complete a FAFSA. Please complete the FAFSA as early as possible. Submit  your FAFSA starting October1st, whether or not you have been admitted into a program.

Waivers for Out-of-State Tuition Costs
  • HSU Sociology is part of the Western Regional Graduate Program , which means students with residency in any of the Western states can pay in-state tuition to study Sociology at Humboldt State University.
  • Applicable states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands/Guam
Department of Sociology

Students usually have opportunities to work for the Department of Sociology as a Teaching Associate (2-4 students a semester), or an Instructional Student Assistant (multiple positions). The   primary responsibility in a Teaching Associate position is classroom instruction, leading discussion sections, and grading assigned work. An Instructional Student Assistant will work directly with course instructors, responsibilities can include teaching, grading, or tutoring. Look for open positions at HSU Academic Student Employee Opportunities.

Additionally, many faculty are able to apply for Federal Work Study (FWS) funds to hire Graduate Students to assist with ongoing research projects. This is a great way to work with faculty (to qualify for FWS funds make sure you complete your FAFSA to qualify). To learn more about each position, email the Department Coordinator.

Paid Employment On Campus
  • California Center for Rural Policy (CCRP) - CCRP is a community-driven research center. Collaborating with numerous organizations and other partners throughout rural California, the center aims to conduct rural research that can be translated into policy and easily understood.  For more information about CCRP and projects visit CCRP website.
  • Office of Institutional Effectiveness - OIE provides decision support and guidance to many entities on campus with the goal of evaluating the success of academic and co-curricular student-support programs and their role in retention and learning outcomes. OIE responds to data requests from the campus community for compliance, for comparisons, for assessment of current strategies, and for help with formulating goals and objectives, analyzing data, planning and designing processes, and establishing performance metrics and benchmarks.
  • Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) – Students often participate in the Mid-Semester Teaching Evaluation program run through CTL. Students working in this program have gained valuable skills in group facilitation, aggregation and analysis of qualitative data, and reporting.
  • HSU Academic Student Employee Opportunities
  • HSU Job Vacancies
Paid Employment Off Campus
Humboldt State University Funding
Other Funding Opportunities
Paid Travel for Conferences

At the beginning of each school year, a call for funding will go out from the College. If you are scheduled to present (or hope to) at a conference during that school year, you can apply for funding to travel to that conference. If you want to travel to present to a conference in August, you should contact the Department Chair to start the funding process during the summer.